Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu
Port St. Lucie Family & Divorce Attorney > Video FAQs > Paternity > At what age can a child decide which parent to live with?

At what age can a child decide which parent to live with?

There is no magic age in Florida for a child to make the determination of, do they want to be with mom or dad? It doesn’t work that way in the state. A child’s wishes can be conveyed through certain methods of testimony that your lawyer can advise you of, and those child’s wishes will influence a judge. There are also motions that can be filed in order to permit the child to actually appear in front of the judge, and answer questions posed by councils or the judge in order to make some other determinations about the child and where the child will reside. The bottom line in the State of Florida boils down to, what is in the child’s best interest? Not what’s in mom’s best interest or dad’s best interest. What’s in the child’s best interest?

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn
Port St. Lucie 8483 S. U.S. Highway One
Port St. Lucie, Florida 34952
Stuart By Appointment Only 100 SW Albany Ave., Suite 300k
Stuart, FL 34994
Fort Pierce By Appointment Only 311 S 2nd St., Suite 102b
Fort Pierce, FL 34950
Telephone: 772-466-0707 Fax: 772-223-9290 or 772-466-0907 Office Hours: 8:30 to 5:00pm M-F