Skip to main content

Exit WCAG Theme

Switch to Non-ADA Website

Accessibility Options

Select Text Sizes

Select Text Color

Website Accessibility Information Close Options
Close Menu
Baginski Brandt & Brandt Port St. Lucie Criminal & Family Attorneys
  • Family Law, Divorce & Estate Planning
  • ~
  • Schedule a Confidential Consultation
  • ~
  • Ask Us About Payment Plans

Family Abandonment and Children in Florida


If your spouse abandons you, it can undoubtedly be an extremely stressful and emotionally exhausting experience for you. Not only can it threaten your sense of emotional stability, but it could also significantly harm your financial position if you were financially dependent on them, or if you had children. However, if you find yourself in this situation, fortunately you do have rights. The law has certain provisions to protect you and your children from the after-effects of abandonment.

What is Considered Abandonment?

There’s a legal term for abandonment: desertion. To define desertion in simple terms, it is when one spouse leaves the marriage — essentially cutting all ties with them — without the other spouse’s consent. Florida law states that should a family need support and no divorce action is pending, the court may Order the deserting spouse “contribute to the maintenance of his or her spouse and support of his or her minor child”  § 61.09, Fla. Stat. Ann.

If your spouse has left you, contact an attorney.  Don’t wait until you are in desperate need for support.  The Courts can be slow to react. The earlier the matter is filed with the court, the sooner you can get relief.  Contact our Port St. Lucie family attorneys at Baginski, Brandt & Brandt  for a consultation on your case.

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn

By submitting this form I acknowledge that form submissions via this website do not create an attorney-client relationship, and any information I send is not protected by attorney-client privilege.

Skip footer and go back to main navigation