Skip to main content

Exit WCAG Theme

Switch to Non-ADA Website

Accessibility Options

Select Text Sizes

Select Text Color

Website Accessibility Information Close Options
Close Menu
Baginski Brandt & Brandt Port St. Lucie Criminal & Family Attorneys
  • Family Law, Divorce & Estate Planning
  • ~
  • Schedule a Confidential Consultation
  • ~
  • Ask Us About Payment Plans

Can I get visitation or custody, even though I was not married to the mother, and I am not on the birth certificate?

A father can always get time-sharing with their child, even if they’re not married or on the birth certificate. That can be done through the initiation of a paternity action. The paternity action will establish you as the father of the child. You’ll be placed on the birth certificate at that point. You’ll have time-sharing rights, parental responsibility.

Obligations regarding child support could go towards the father or the mother, depending upon the results of the child support calculations. By initiating a paternity action that results in you being named the father, you are that child’s father for life.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn

By submitting this form I acknowledge that form submissions via this website do not create an attorney-client relationship, and any information I send is not protected by attorney-client privilege.

Skip footer and go back to main navigation