Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu
Port St. Lucie Family & Divorce Attorney > Video FAQs > Domestic Violence > What happens if I am accused of domestic violence?

What happens if I am accused of domestic violence?

Two things can occur if you’re accused of domestic violence. One is an injunction and the other is a criminal charge. Now, both can also occur. One is not exclusive of the other. If you’re accused and police come to your home, don’t speak to the police. There is nothing that you can do that’s going to make the situation any better. The only thing that can occur is you can make things worse. You can end up giving the police evidence against you. You can make a statement that police can later misinterpret. It’s best if you don’t make any statement whatsoever.

If the police are going to arrest you, they’re going to arrest you regardless of what you say. Best thing to do is to be quiet, call your attorney. Our office is open 24/7. A lot of law offices are open 24/7 and you can give us a call and we’ll help you in those emergency situations. It’s very important that you don’t talk to law enforcement. Don’t make any statements and keep your cool.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn
Port St. Lucie 8483 S. U.S. Highway One
Port St. Lucie, Florida 34952
Stuart By Appointment Only 100 SW Albany Ave., Suite 300k
Stuart, FL 34994
Fort Pierce By Appointment Only 311 S 2nd St., Suite 102b
Fort Pierce, FL 34950
Telephone: 772-466-0707 Fax: 772-223-9290 or 772-466-0907 Office Hours: 8:30 to 5:00pm M-F