Skip to main content

Exit WCAG Theme

Switch to Non-ADA Website

Accessibility Options

Select Text Sizes

Select Text Color

Website Accessibility Information Close Options
Close Menu
Baginski Brandt & Brandt Port St. Lucie Criminal & Family Attorneys
  • Family Law, Divorce & Estate Planning
  • ~
  • Schedule a Confidential Consultation
  • ~
  • Ask Us About Payment Plans

I share custody/time-sharing with an ex-spouse, but they are an unfit parent. What should I do?

Florida looks at any parent-child situation the same way, whether it be an ex-spouse or the mother or the father of a child that was shared outside of the marriage. If that other parent is unfit, you need to start to take notes, document what’s going on. Are they on drugs? Are they not waking up? Are they not taking the child to school, providing the basic needs of a child food and hygienic needs? Take notes.

If your child is actually in physical danger, you need to contact the Department of Children and Family or law enforcement. You also should contact an attorney and explain to the attorney what’s going on because there are certain emergency motions that can be filed that can be utilized to protect your child from a dangerous situation. Again, Florida is very clear, the best interest of the child is always the prevailing factor.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn

By submitting this form I acknowledge that form submissions via this website do not create an attorney-client relationship, and any information I send is not protected by attorney-client privilege.

Skip footer and go back to main navigation