Port St. Lucie Child Custody Attorney
Are you in the middle of a contentious child custody battle. The issue of child custody is one of the more disputed items in the divorce agreement. As parents, it is natural for you to want to keep your children close and you don’t divorce to come in the way of that. Fortunately, the court does prefer to award joint custody whenever possible so that the child can maintain a close and meaningful relationship with both their parents. If you and your spouse are unable to agree on the matter of child custody, then you will need a Port St. Lucie child custody attorney to protect your rights and present your case in court.
Get an Experienced Family Law Attorney on Your Side
When a legal matter related to child custody is the issue, we get heavily involved in taking the right actions to get it resolved fairly. There are cases in which the two parents disagree about where the children should spend the majority of their time. One parent could claim that the other is abusive. Your case is unique and deserves to be evaluated so you can get straight answers.
How to Determine Child Custody
When deciding on matters such as child custody or visitation, the court has to take several different factors into consideration. The court has full discretion when it comes to determining the custody rights of the parents, in order to help them make their decision they typically look into the following factors:
- The child’s wishes (under limited or extreme circumstances)
- The parents’ preferences
- Which parent has more time to spend with the child
- Which parent will encourage visits and contact with the other parent
- How close the parents’ life to each other
- What type of relationship the child has with each parent
Keep in mind that there are many different types of child custody arrangements that the court can settle upon. The main forms of custody are in reference to legal custody and physic custody.
- Legal custody is the authority for the parent(s) to make legal decisions on the child’s behalf. These decisions will be in regards to education, medical treatment, religious influences, and things of that nature.
- Physical custody is the awarded to the parent(s) that the child will live and reside will. If one parent is awarded sole physical custody, then the court will usually award the non-custodial parent certain visitation rights so that they can spend time with the child.
A Child Custody Attorney Can Help
Are you concerned about whether you will be granted custody of your children? Are you involved in a contentious divorce in which child custody is an issue? It may be that circumstances have changed and you need to go to court to modify an existing custody order. At Baginski Brandt & Brandt, we are highly skilled in managing and resolving simple and complex child custody matters, whether in negotiations prior to a divorce, or through litigation. We understand how important these matters are, and are prepared to analyze your situation and advise you of your options. All claims of child abuse, domestic violence, drug abuse or other accusations must be supported by fact. We know how to get the job done, and how important the welfare and safety of your children is to you, as a parent. Searching for a lawyer for your child custody case? We are sensitive to your situation and we are ready to help you obtain the best possible outcome in your case. Discuss the details of your case with us today by setting up your free initial consultation.